Monday, September 28, 2009

Workboxes for My Third Grader - A Look Inside

In our homeschool, I like to complete the work that I do with all of the children together in the morning. Then, after lunch, the children all have independent work to complete. My seventh grader has her assignments printed from Edu-Track and my boys are using workboxes this year.

Here is a look inside my third grader's workboxes for a recent school day. Workbox #1 contained his Spelling Workout book with a post-it note on the front indicating which page he should complete.
Workbox #2 contained his Math 4 notebook. He is using Teaching Textbooks 4 this year so the notebook is used when he needs to use paper to figure out a math problem. The notebook is also a visual reminder for him to go and complete his next lesson in math at the computer.

Workbox #3 contained his Growing With Grammar 2 book. He is finishing this curriculum from last year and will start on Growing With Grammar 3 later in the school year when he is finished. I simply open the book to the lesson that he needs to complete for that school day.

Workbox #4 contained a worksheet about finding the topic sentence in a paragraph. I am using Daily 6 Trait Writing with my third grader this year and the previous week's lesson was on topic sentences. Since I thought that was a really important concept, I decided to spend a bit more time on topic sentences rather than moving on to the next lesson in Daily 6 Trait Writing.Workbox #5 contained a worksheet from Spectrum Phonics 3. He only completes one side of a page per day. I am finding the phonics review to be sometimes quite easy for him and sometimes quite challenging. Workbox #6 was to play Roll and Multiply with me. I put a few of the game pieces in the box so he would know which game we were going to play. Not surprisingly, Roll and Multiply is a game designed to practice multiplication facts.

Workbox #7 was a reading comprehension activity using the book "Thanksgiving on Thursday" by Mary Pope Osborne and the Pockets of Time Thanksgiving on Thursday pack from Fortunately for You Books. I also included the crayons he would need to complete the activity.

Workbox #8 was simply an index card to remind him to do his typing program on the computer. We are using Typing Instructor for Kids Version 4. This wonderful program taught my daughter how to type and she now types at over 40 words per minute. The boys are learning to type with this program as well. Workbox #9 was FOCUS on Recognizing Cause and Effect. Duncan does this reading comprehension activity four times per week. And, then he's done for the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment