Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Blissful Blessing of an Organized Daughter

We are officially on summer break now!!! Even though my children all have some schoolwork to finish up and they all have to continue reading throughout the summer - I'm on break! Summer break for me means getting to work on all of those bigger projects that I never have time to work on during the school year. Hmmm, maybe I need to work on my understanding of the word "break."

Regardless, one of the tasks on my never-ending list was to clean and organize my daughter's bookcase. Overall, her room is quite neat and lovely most of the time. She makes her bed neatly every day and doesn't let clutter accumulate. She regularly updates the outfits on her American Girl dolls and puts them on display. As well, she sometimes even makes delightful handmade posters for her room. Sadly, though, the one area of her room that had really fallen into a disorganized mess was her bookcase. I planned on working through the task with her sometime this summer.

The other day, my daughter had been in her room for quite a while so I checked in on her and was greeted with this wonderful sight!


My daughter, with no encouragement from me, had decided, on her own, to tackle her messy bookcase. She even went out to the garage and retrieved three boxes which she marked "Give Away," "Keep," "Don't Know." I was so impressed with her efforts! Her messy bookcase was transformed into a neat collection of her books, magazines, special swimming awards, American Girl dolls and treasured keepsakes.


While I was still glowing in my obviously superior mothering skills, my two younger sons came in from playing outside. I showed them A's progress and raved about the wonderful organizational efforts she was making. My middle son, who revels in artistic disarray, merely looked at me and laughed. Then, they hurried back outside to play again, lest I grab them and force them into some Medieval torture like cleaning or organizing. I quickly stopped glowing then and there.

No comments:

Post a Comment