Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The 50 Book Challenge

My favorite library is having a special event this year called the "50 Book Challenge." Basically, the challenge is to read 50 books this year, or roughly one per week. I signed up for the challenge as I love to read and thought it would be fun. I started reading again purely for pleasure last year. I worked my way through all of the Lucy Stone mysteries by Leslie Meier and just continued to read and read from there. I was a voracious reader when I was younger and now that I have discovered the pure joy of losing myself in a book again, I am committed to making time to read. I usually read in small chunks of time - while waiting for my kids at karate, swimming, art class, or during swim meets. I also always read now before I go to bed. I find it a lot more relaxing than thinking about all of the things I need to do the next day!

So far, so good - I am way ahead on my 50 Book Challenge. I did spend a long week-end away from home with my daughter at an out-of-state swim meet so I had more time to read than usual. Here are the books that I read in January and my ratings for them out of 5 stars.

1. Definitely Dead, #6 in the Southern Vampire Mystery Series by Charlaine Harris ****
2. Night Embrace, #3 in the Dark Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon ****
3. Dead as a Doornail, #5 in the Southern Vampire Mystery Series by Charlaine Harris ****
4. All Together Dead, #7 in the Southern Vampire Mystery Series by Charlaine Harris ****
5. Dance with the Devil, #4 in the Dark Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon ****
6. Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer ***
7. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. K. Rowling, audio CD read by Jim Dale *****
(This is the second time my daughter and I have listened to this book - I can't recommend the audio CD enough - it is wonderful!)
8. Men in Kilts by Katie MacAlister ****
9. A Girl's Guide to Vampires by Katie MacAlister ***

Well.............my current book is calling to me. I had better end this post!

No comments:

Post a Comment